Yesterday, Michele and I were on our way to STP for Mat, and her transmission died. We spent about a half hour on the roadside and missed the plan. Funny thing. She found a "flare" in her car for me to use, because I was waiving cars on to pass us. Can you believe one of them gave me the "finger"! Anyway, this was no ordinary flare. It was a square shaped thing about a quarter of an inch deep, with a star shap cut out of the middle. You just light the whole thing and put it down. The problem was that we didn't have any matches. We tried using the cigarette lighter but that didn't work. So we tried to light the instructions on fire with the cigarette lighter, but that didn't work. So I got the paper glowing with embers, and I was touching that to the flare blowing on it so that it heated up. I had smoke and sparks flying all over the place, but didn't work.
Then Michele said that there were some dry branches in the bushes and she suggested that I try to light one of them. So all I could see was starting a forest fire in Suffolk County.
Anyway, that didn't work either.